Meatballs are a tasy side and main meal. Thsese are a great meal for a family dinner.
- 1 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 pounds ground beef (80% preferred)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 –14 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 2 –14 ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 large onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- Mix the ground beef, eggs, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, grated parmesan, minced onion and minced garlic together in medium sized mixing bowl. Slowly pour in the milk and mix using hands to ensure thoroughly mixed. Mixture will be wet.
- Heat oil in a large pan or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Using hands roll meatball mixture into small balls about 1 inch in diameter. Place in the pan coated with oil.
- Cook the meatballs over medium heat, turning while they cook, until browned on all sides. Cook in batches if needed to avoid over-crowding. Once all meatballs are seared remove from the skillet and set aside. (do not worry if the meatballs are cooked through, they will finish cooking in the sauce)
- Drain the grease from the pan, but leave all the blackened bits.
- Return the pan to the stove at a low heat. Add the onion and cook until softened. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Stir in the tomato paste.
- Pour in the tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes. Add in the oregano, basil, salt, and black pepper. Stir to combine. Add in the light brown sugar and stir.
- Return the meatballs to the pot. Gently mix into the sauce.
- Bring sauce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.